Monday, November 2, 2009

10/30/09 - The Writing Process

3 Stages: Pre-Writing, Writing, Post-Writing

5 Steps: Pre-Writing, Drafting, Revising, Editing, Publishing

Pre-writing

Techniques:
--Brainstorming
--Free Writing
--Concept Mapping
--Listing
--Outlining
--Charting

“Brainstorming” means thinking of as many ideas as possible in a short amount of time.
--Write down your ideas so that you don’t forget them.
--Write down everything that comes to your mind; don’t worry about sorting out “good” and
“bad” ideas.
--Don’t worry about spelling or grammar.

“Free Writing” is like pouring all of your thoughts onto paper.
--Don’t take your pen off the page; keep writing for the entire time.
--If you don’t know what to write, write “I don’t know what to write” until you do.
--Don’t try to sort “good” and “bad” ideas.
--Don’t worry about spelling and grammar.

“Listing” is similar to “brainstorming.” The idea is to write down as many things as possible.
--Use single words or phrases, not sentences.
--Listing works well for descriptive-type writing.
--Don’t worry about spelling or sorting out “good” and “bad” ideas.

“Outlining” is a more organized form of pre-writing than the others we discussed.
--It can be used after you have generated ideas through brainstorming, free writing, or other
pre-writing techniques.
--It works well for structured types of writing such as essays.
--You can use complete sentences, but you don’t have to.

"Charting" works very well for comparison/ contrast writing or examining advantages and
disadvantages.
--You can use many different kinds of charts, depending on your topic and the kind of writing you are doing.


“Mapping,” sometimes called “semantic/ idea mapping” or “webbing,” is another way to organize your ideas.
--Start with your topic in the center, and branch out from there with related ideas.
--Use words and phrases, not complete sentences.


6 Traits of Writing

Ideas
--the heart of the message, the content of the piece, the main theme, together with the details that enrich and develop that theme.

Organization
--internal structure of the piece of writing, the thread of central meaning, the logical and sometimes intriguing pattern of the ideas.

Voice
--the magic, the wit, along with the feeling and conviction of the individual writer coming out through the words.
--gives writing personality, flavor and style. In a paper with strong voice, the writer speaks directly to the reader and is sensitive to the reader’s needs.

Word Choice
--the use of rich, colorful, precise language that moves and enlightens the reader.
--enriches our writing and makes it almost come alive. Precise words add energy and clarity. Words convey the intended message in a clear, interesting and natural way.

Sentence Fluency
--the rhythm and flow of the language, the sound of word patterns, the way in which writing plays to the ear—not just to the eye.
--Sentences are well built with strong and varied structures. Sentences are clear and powerful.

Conventions
--Used in “Editing” Step of the Writing Process
--the mechanical correctness of the piece—spelling, grammar and usage, paragraphing, use of capitals and punctuation.

Drafting

Which ideas do I want to develop?
~Use your pre-writing to identify the ideas which you must use, might use, and will not use.
~Do not cross anything totally out. You may decide at a later time to use it.
~What ideas should I develop further?

In what order do I want to say my ideas?
~On your prewriting, number your thoughts or ideas. Place them in the order that would make the most logical sense.
~If you are dealing with time, make sure they are in chronological order.

Revising

Are my details clear?
~Are my words descriptive?
~Did I use repetitive words?

Should I add or take out parts?
~Do I need to explain more?
~Is there something missing that I should include?

Is my writing in a sensible order?
~Does my writing need to be in time order?
~Does the information need to be presented in a way that is easy for others to follow?

Have I used the best ideas or words?
~Am I showing others that I know what I am writing about?
~Have I used the best examples or words to describe my ideas or thoughts?

Is my writing in a sensible order?
~Does my writing need to be in time order?
~Does the information need to be presented in a way that is easy for others to follow?

Editing

Have I used complete sentences?
~All of my thoughts are complete.
~There are no run-ons.

Are my language conventions correct?
~Spelling
~Capitalization and punctuation
~Grammar

Have I used editing marks to make corrections?
~Remember to look in your writing folder if you forgot what to use.

Have I had at least two people edit my paper?
~Choose two people in the classroom, that are on the editing stage. If no one is, you may choose to look over your work again. You may also write in your journal if you cannot find someone to edit your work. Be sure to check after a few minutes to see if someone is ready.

Editing others work…
~Make sure to check for the same items you did when editing your own work.
~Check for complete sentences, check the language conventions, and use editing marks for corrections.

Publishing

Did I do my best work?
Did I include a title (if needed)?
Is my final copy neat?
Should I illustrate the pages?
~You may use the computer to create this or draw your own.
Do I need a title page with illustrations?
Should I read it out loud?

Be sure to reread your work. Spell check is not always reliable.
Check Mrs. Paa’s requirements when typing your work.

There should be no errors in your work. Erase all mistakes so that you cannot see them.
Use your best handwriting.
Skip lines

Persuasive Writing: tries to get the reader to agree with/support your point of view

Descriptive Writing: appeals to the 5 senses, uses figurative language, allows the reader to feel like they are experiencing what the writer was describing

Expository Writing: Compare/Contrast, Cause/Effect, How-To (About a process)

Narrative Writing: tells a story

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Reads!